Determine your staffing needs
Why conduct workforce planning?
Your business plan should give you a clear idea of what you want to achieve in your business. Common reasons for workforce planning include:
- struggling with the work load generated by your business
- regulatory changes, market changes or new technology that may force you to look at how you run your business
- poor staff performance
- achieving business growth.
Look at your current staffing situation
Good HR records should help you gather this information but if you do not have this information at hand then you can conduct staff surveys or have conversations with your staff. Questions you should ask are:
- what are your employees characteristics (age, salary, who do they report to etc.)
- what skills do you have in your business?
- what is the rate of workforce growth or decline? Over time?
- what is your staff turnover rate?
- what is your workers' satisfaction?
Determine your future staffing needs
Having identified your business needs and profiled your current workforce, you can now get your workforce to meet your business goals