According to the 2016 accreditation status report by the National Universities Commission (NUC), exclusively obtained by this newspaper, the unaccredited courses are domiciled in 37 of 143 universities in the country.
The Quality Assurance Department of the NUC is in charge of accrediting courses in the universities.
For a course to be accredited, the NUC says, it must meet the Benchmark Minimum Academic Standards (BMAS) that has been drawn up by the commission.
Such a course, officials say, must have qualified faculty members, good learning environment and adequate teaching materials – equipment, books and journals.
Courses with full accreditation are due for re-accreditation every five years during which some courses might lose or retain their certification. Some fully accredited courses could be slammed with interim accreditation if their facilities and faculty are found to have depreciated.
Courses with interim accreditation are due for reassessment after two years, and back to back interimaccreditation automatically leads to loss of accreditation.
The NUC says accreditation of courses is necessary to ensure “employers and other members of the community that Nigerian graduates of all academic programmes have attained an acceptable level of competency in their areas of specialization.”The commission says it is also important to certify courses to assure “the international community that the programmes offered in Nigerian Universities are of high standards and that graduates of the institutions are adequate for employment and further studies.”
According to the NUC, pre-accreditation activities include drawing up a list of academic programmes to be certified, compilation of list of panel chairmen/members, time-tabling, budgeting and organizing the accreditation coordination meeting for panel chairmen and members in a simulation workshop.
The post-accreditation activities, according to the commission, include analyzing accreditation reports (technical and administrative), ranking of programmes and universities based on their accreditation status, publishing of accreditation status of programmes, issuance of certificates to programmes that earned Full and Interim accreditation results.
PREMIUM TIMES’ analysis of the accreditation result for 2016 showed that 150 courses are currently unaccredited in 13 federal universities, 16 state universities and eight private universities in the country.
The affected universities include universities such as the University of Nigeria, Nsukka; University of Benin, University of Jos, University of Calabar and the University of Abuja which has 15 of its courses, including Law, unaccredited.
See full list of unaccredited courses and their universities below:
S/No School & Course
1. University of Nigeria, Nsukka: Russian Dentistry Statistics
2. University of Benin: Anatomy Pharmacy
3. University of Calabar: Business Management Theatre and Media Arts Public Health
4. University of Jos: History and International Relations Medical Laboratory Science Biochemistry Science Laboratory Technology
5. Federal University of Technology: Owerri Architecture Microbiology
6. Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola Banking
7. Federal University of Technology: Minna Biology Education Chemistry Education Geography Education Industrial and Technical Education Mathematics Education Physics Education 8. University of Abuja: Accounting English Language Linguistics Philosophy Agricultural Education Biology Education Chemistry Education Economics Education Education (Social Science) Geography Education Integrated Science Mathematics Education Law Chemistry Microbiology
9. Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University: Bauchi Automobile Education Building Technology Education Business Education Electrical Electronics Technology Education Integrated Science Architecture Building Industrial Design Survey & Geo-informatics Applied Geophysics Engineering Physics Physics Electronics
10. University of Uyo: Efik/Ibibio
11. Nnamdi Azikiwe University: Nursing Science Industrial/Production Engineering Mechanical Engineering
12. University of Petroleum Resources: Effurun Chemistry Environmental Management & Toxicology Geology Geophysics Mathematics
13. Federal University: Wukari English/Literary Studies
14. Rivers State University of Science & Technology: Quantity Surveying
15. Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma: Material & Production Engineering Architecture Building Biochemistry Botany Microbiology Political Science
16. Abia State University: English Language Education French Education Igbo Education History Education Religious Studies Education Education (Library Studies/Igbo/English/Social Studies/Government) Biology Education Chemistry Education Economics Education Geography Education Guidance & Counselling Mass Communication
17. Enugu State University of Science & Technology: Library & Information Science
18. Olabisi Onabanjo University: Christian Religious Studies Education History Education Islamic Studies Education Electrical Electronics Engineering
19. Ekiti State University: African Traditional Religion Religious Studies Civil Engineering
20. Lagos State University: English Language French Philosophy Yoruba
21. Imo State University: English & Literary Studies French Theatre Arts Medical Laboratory Science Nursing Law
22. Delta State University: Accounting & Finance Chemical Engineering Civil Engineering Electrical & Electronic Engineering Mechanical & Metallurgical Engineering Petroleum Engineering Law
23. Kogi State University: Medicine & Surgery
24. Niger Delta University: Adult & Community Education Economics Education Geography Education Marketing Education Political Science Education Religious Studies Education Social Studies Botany Computer Science Mathematics Pure & Applied Chemistry Zoology
25. Anambra State University: Early Childhood Education Human Kinetics Geology Microbiology
26. Ebonyi State University: Building/Woodwork Education Physics Education Applied Biology Applied Microbiology Applied Statistics Biotechnology Geology Industrial Mathematics
27. Nasarawa State University: English
28. Cross River University of Technology: Physiology Wood Production Engineering Architecture
29. Kebbi State University of Science & Technology: Information Technology
30. Babcock University: French
31. Benson Idahosa University: Business Education
32. Ajayi Crowther University: Actuarial Science & Insurance
33. Caritas University: Bio-technology Microbiology
34. Kwararafa University: Wukari Public Administration Computer Science Statistics Economics Mass Communication Sociology
35. Novena University: Chemistry
36. Joseph Ayo Babalola University: Building Quantity Surveying
37. Tansian University Anambra: Architecture